Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Village People

We are really enjoying Salado! It is one of the prettiest places we have lived. We love the Hill Country of Texas. We feel home here. And, we really enjoy our house and not being in a "neighborhood." The extra acreage around us is nice. Country life suits us well.

Salado is not even a town/city. It is registered with the state as a Village. In fact, I just read an article in the Killeen paper about Salado. People who live in Salado are not Saladoans, or Saladoites. We are "Village People." I never thought I would be a Village Person. Anybody for the YMCA?

Salado was one of the first communities established by the "Old 300" (these were the original families brought into Texas by Stephen F. Austin when Texas still belonged to Mexico). The founder of Salado was Stephen F. Austin's right hand man. The cemetery near our house has tombstones dating from before the Texas Revolution! (I guess only you Texas History nerds would dig that!)

Below: This was the scene in our front yard this morning. Pictures do not do it justice! By the time I ran in to get the camera, the sun was rising fast. This picture didn't capture the dark blue night sky fading with the pink sun rising just over the trees. We have beautiful mist across the ground most mornings.

We like living in a small town. We love hanging out at the Creek. And, the library and librarians are great! It is fun to drive through "downtown" and see different places where Tony and I went on dates back in our "courtin' days." We loved Salado even before we got married. I have fun memories of my dad and mom holding Blane's chubby little hands walking down the sidewalks of downtown Salado just after Ally Beth was born. I am thankful for the opportunity to live here.
Here is one of the quaint churches in town (my favorite one!):

The kids were missing their friends the other day and I asked them if they wished we hadn't moved. Ally Beth said, "No, we just need all of our friends to move here. They'd love it!"

Come on down!