Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Politics According to Blane

In geography this year, we are studying different types of maps. Our geography lesson for this week is about landform maps (flat maps, not topographical). The landform map we are studying is a map of Arizona, with its deserts, rivers, mountains and canyons. Before we delved into the landforms, I asked the kids to find Arizona on the map of the United States.

I told them that Senator John McCain is a Senator from the state of Arizona. We then discussed the election process. I told them that Democrats favor large government and higher taxes and that they support abortion. I told them that the Republicans favor smaller central government, more personal freedoms and that they are generally against abortion.

Blane then said, "Oh, I get it. The Republicans are like the Jedi Knights, defending freedom. The Democrats are like the Dark Lords of the Sith. They like to trick people and rule over them. Is that right?"

If only the rest of America saw things so plainly! Maybe we should all watch Star Wars before voting???