We are LOVING our new school room! It is the breakfast room in the house and has a huge window that lets in tons of sunlight, yet not direct sunlight. It's perfect! I've always wanted lots of bright natural light in our school room. We also have a whole wall of bookshelves, which is also something else I've always wanted. The school room is open to the kitchen, so I can cook and clean without losing sight of the kids. And, it has a door to the covered back porch for easy access to do messy crafts on the picnic table, or for quick access to a little recess in the backyard. It is also not disrupting our school day to let Gracie in and out of the back yard when she needs in and out. In years past, someone used to have to stop school to go let her in and out. Now, Blane simply rotates in his chair and lets her in and out. Perfect! Also, the computer is in the school room, but I can also see it when I'm in the kitchen, so I can monitor computer activity. What a great location for our computer!
Here is my view of the school room from the kitchen.
I also wanted a spot to teach from, a teacher's desk area, but without the desk. I have it! My glider doubles as my "teacher's chair" and the place where I can feed Caleb while teaching. Lying on my glider is one of my great-grandmother's quilts. I love having family history in our classroom. Our school is called, "Heritage Academy," which is taken from Psalm 61:5, "Lord, You have given me the heritage of those who fear your name." I love sitting in my glider, reading the Word with my children first thing in the morning, with my great-grandmother's comfortable, worn quilt as a soft cushion. I often wonder, as I sit there sipping my coffee, if she prayed for the generations to come after her? Wouldn't it bless her to see the quilt she worked so hard on as a decorative part of her great, great grandchildren's classroom?
On the wall beside my glider is the picture given to me by my beloved friends in MHSC (Midlothian Home School Co-Op). Our MHSC friends have a prominent spot in our school room. We sure miss you guys and cherish the picture you gave me! I look at it often throughout my day.
I would venture to say that all home school moms have a vision of "the perfect school room" in their minds. Our new school room has a lot of the features that I desired in a school room. We are so thankful for the Lord's abundant provision!