Saturday, November 14, 2009

Further thoughts about a quiet life...

Ann Voskamp at Holy Experience is my favorite momma-blogger. Though the following quotes are not her own (she is quoting others), I find her selections to follow nicely with my musings about an ambitiously quiet life...

From "A Testament of Devotion" by Thomas R. Kelly:

"One can have a very busy day, outwardly speaking, and yet be steadily in the holy Presence..."

With delight I read Brother Lawrence, in his "Practice of the Presence of God," at the close of the Fourth Conversation it is reported of him,

"He was never hasty nor loitering, but did each thing in its season, with an even, uninterrupted composure and tranquility of spirit. ‘The time of business,’ he said, ‘does not with me differ from the time of prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the blessed sacrament.’ "

"Our real problem [of not experiencing God in the routine of life and work]...is not a lack of time; it is, I fear, in too many of us, lack of joyful, enthusiastic delight in Him, lack of deep, deep-drawing love directed toward Him at every hour of the day and night."