I find myself at the precipice of a new school year...our 7th year home schooling. We had 2 years of preschool, then K, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grades for a total of 6 completed years so far. Some days it feels as if I have been home schooling for twice that long (days can crawl by at times), but mostly I feel that time has flown.
Just yesterday it seems I was teaching the kids how to read three letter words. Now, Blane is devouring huge novels. Just yesterday, I was teaching Ally Beth basic spelling, now she is independently writing "books" on her own (really just stories, but they are her "books").
As parents, we relish our children's "firsts." First smile, first tooth, first word, first steps, and the list goes on. I must say that one of the things I love about home schooling is getting to be there on their academic firsts...first time they wrote their name independently...first time they read a sentence....first time they read a whole book aloud without my help...and I could go on with this list for days. It is a thrill to be on the front lines sitting right there with your child at those light bulb moments.
I look forward this year to some more of those moments. Yet, as I look ahead, I can't help thinking of all the many things behind us that we will never revisit with Blane and Ally Beth. For example, they no longer need me to help them dress, they don't need me to put band aids on "boo-boos" (which they don't even call them "boo-boos" anymore), they don't need me to buckle their seat belts, they don't need me to turn on the water for them to help them wash their hands...etc.
We acknowledge all of our kids firsts, but do we realize when they do things for the LAST time and we will never go back and do those things again? For example, Blane never tells me that he wants to marry me when he grows up. He used to do this when he was younger. At some point, he told me that for the last time and I didn't even realize he would never again say that to me.
I never pondered their lasts until my sweet friend Melissa read us a book in our Sunday School class one Sunday. It is by Karen Kingsbury and is entitled, "Let Me Hold You Longer" There wasn't a dry eye in the room. It is a book that reminds parents to relish every moment with their children, for it might be the last time some things occur...such as the last time they slept with their favorite blankie or stuffed animal. Or, the last time your daughter sits and plays with her baby dolls. If you think "I'll Love You Forever" is a tear jerker, this one will make you bawl!!! I highly recommend it to all of you...

This book encourages me to cherish each moment, as they are fleeting. I don't want to hold my kids back from growing up, but I also don't want to let moments pass without relishing them.
This is my challenge to myself as both mommy and teacher this next school year... cherish each and every moment and savor each day as a gift from the Master Teacher...even the difficult days.