Friday, September 10, 2010

Salado Flood 2010

Being a town that centers around a spring fed creek can have its perils. The creek has flooded 3 times since we have lived here, but this most recent flood was the worst in over 50 years. I know some of these sights will not seem like much to you, because many of you are not familiar with our haunts in Salado, but for those of you who have been here and taken a trek with us down to the creek (the kids favorite place to be), these pictures will have more of an impact...


The tree Blane used to climb- the tree we sat under on Caleb's first trip to the Creek- totally uprooted.
The rock area where the kids would climb and jump into the creek, now totally covered with fallen trees. No more shade at the creek :-(
My favorite tree to sit under and watch the kids play...now gone...

Rosanky's (shop near creek) after two 18 wheeler trailer loads of ruined antiques and merchandise were carted off. This is 2 days after the flood and you can still see standing water all around. The winery next to Rosanky's was completely wiped out.

After the last flood, the Village put up a pipe fence along the bridge, right next to the sidewalk. Only two pieces of fence were even left on the whole bridge, and these were mangled.

The flood washed over the I-35 bridge, filling it with trees and debris. Normally, this bridge is tall enough to walk under...now covered in water...

The tree I park under, now down...the road to the creek washed out...



We fared very well in this flood. Only one room had water in it, and the water was minimal. Thankfully, this was our sun porch, so it has linoleum floors that hold up well to standing water! While we slept away (or tried to sleep without electricity, meaning no A/C), this is what was happening not even a mile down the road.

Though I know this passage means far more than our recent flood, these words of Scripture came to me from Isaiah 43...

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you...
For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;